Summary of Key Points from JAMB Policy Meeting – 2018/19
- The minister has pointed out that All Admissions in all tertiary institutions in the country MUST BE processed by JAMB. No admission must be done before the policy meeting in any year.
- JAMB policy meeting will now be held every year, on or before JUNE.
- The Admission Policy meeting stipulates the guidelines and modalities for admission into tertiary institution for each Academic Session. Hence, no Admission into tertiary institution should be announced before the Policy Meeting.
- Institutions are free to conduct Post-UTME but no school should charge anything more than 2,000 Naira.
- Henceforth, JAMB will be releasing MATRICULATION LIST (i.e. Admission Lists). Anyone whose name does not appear in the lists is not a Nigerian Student. And anyone who goes ahead to attend school will not graduate.
- There are 776 Tertiary Institutions in the country.
- They 2017/2018 Admission processes through CAPS was very successful and will still be deployed in 2018.
- Going by information emanating from CAPS, Universities are still the most preferred institutions.
- A review of 2017/2018 Session statistics of admitted students: Universities: 73.84%, Polytechnic: 12.95%, Colleges of Education: 13.17%.
- It is not all courses that require Mathematics for admission. Mathematics and English Language are not compulsory as widely believed – Jamb Registrar.
- Just 41% of candidates who applied for admission last year (2017) are suitable and qualified for admission. About 211,742 that were admitted last year scored up to 200 and above in UTME.
- Candidates are encouraged to be flexible. Student always want to read a particular course at all cost. e.g. Someone who wants to read medicine would never want the option of Pharmacy, even when given.
- We need more Universities but there are some conditions to be considered before this.
- UTME performance of admitted candidates for 2017; about 41.79% candidates had 200 and above.
- 53 tertiary institutions in the South West admitted candidates that scored less than 140 in UTME Last year.
- ABU covered all the states in terms of admission Last Year. That is they admitted candidates from all the states.
Very Important: How You Can Gain Admission With Low JAMB Score – 2018/19
Best wishes from yours sincerely, Henry Divine.