The aim of this post is to teach how to stop auto renewal on MTN. Therefore, I am going to show you the five available ways to stop auto renewal on different MTN data packages. So if you need to opt out of auto renewal on any MTN data bundle, just read through this article. This promises to solve all your issues.
Human beings are diverse in every aspect of life. Different people have their peculiarities and needs pertaining any and everything.
The statement is also true when it comes to people’s data needs. There are those whose jobs, businesses or career are data-dependent. In other words, they need data every single second in order to keep their enterprise going. Somehow or the other, such people are always online and would record heavy inconveniences and losses if they ever run out of data. For no reason should their data expire or get exhausted.
There are other people who buy and use data mainly for other things apart from business. They use their data for social media and other informational purposes. Some just purchase a data bundle to sort out a momentary Internet need like sending files, doing an assignment and so on.
Read Also: How to Migrate to MTN Pulse Code
Table of Contents
MTN Auto Renewal Vs MTN One-time Purchase
MTN is a telecommunication company with a vision to satisfy the communication needs of their customers. So they go to any length to identify these needs and sort them out to the satisfaction of their ever-growing customer base.
For the sake of the two categories of individuals described above, MTN brought in the concept of auto renewal of data bundles and one-time purchase of data bundles.
The idea is that those whose jobs, companies and business are Internet-dependent should opt for auto renewal of their data plans. While those whose enterprises are not so dependent on the Internet can opt for one-time purchase to sort out their data need at the moment. They may just require data to handle something for a day or week or just one month. After the expiration or exhaustion of their data, such people may choose to subscribe again or not to subscribe. More so, they may choose to go for an entirely different data bundle according to their current budget.
During the data subscription stage, MTN offers users different data bundle packages to choose from. For any data package they choose, MTN also prompts them to choose between auto renewal and one-time purchase.
Read Also: How to Migrate to MTN Beta Talk for Free
Advantages of Auto Renewal of Data Bundles on MTN
Here are the advantages or benefits of choosing the auto renewal option when doing your data subscription on MTN:
- If your business is data-dependent, opting for auto renewal will give you peace of mind. In other words, you don’t have to worry about your subscription date or the expiration date. MTN will take the worry from you and renew your data bundle when due.
- Your business will not experience a downtime. Of course, you know that down times can harm your brand reputation and customer relationships as a business man.
- Saves you the time and ‘stress’ of doing manual renewal every day, week or month depending on your subscription.
- In case of subscription expiration, auto renewal will ensure the roll over of unused data so that you do not lose anything.
Advantages of One-time Purchase on MTN
The following are the advantages or benefits of choosing the one-time purchase option when doing your data subscription on MTN:
- If you do not want to do another subscription when your data expires, you don’t have anything to bother about. MTN will not forcefully re-subscribe you to the same data bundle using your available airtime credit.
- This will save your airtime credit until you decide to make use of it to manually subscribe for data.
- You may want to buy a different data bundle package in your next subscription. A one-time purchase gives you the necessary flexibility.
Alright. There may be other advantages for the two options above, but I believe you already have enough.
Read Also: How to Link NIN to MTN Line
The Need to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN
Sometimes, users unknowingly or mistakenly select the option for auto-renewal when subscribing for data. The network will automatically re-subscribe them to the same data bundle package. And they get a shocking SMS alert informing them that their data bundle has been successfully renewed. This can be very heartbreaking especially if the airtime credit used was your last.
Some users manually re-subscribe to a higher data bundle package. But they continue to receive messages from MTN every time they recharge their phones. Of course, the messages are about subscription to the previous package they mistakenly chose for auto renewal.
Such messages can be very nasty and annoying, and you just need to how to curb the entire experience.
In the following sections, I will show you how to deactivate or stop auto renewal on MTN.
How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN
If MTN auto renewal is not useful to you as a customer, then you need to learn how to stop it. Because if don’t stop it right away, MTN will continue to auto-renew your data bundle using your available airtime credit. This can be a painful thorn in your flesh.
There are five easy ways to stop auto renewal on MTN. They include the use of:
- USSD codes
- MyMTN app
- MyMTN webpage
- Customer Service Unit
I am going to take the next few sections to guide you on how to stop auto renewal on MTN using any of the five methods above.
1. How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN Via USSD Code
For data bundle purchase on the MTN network via USSD, there are two codes that you can use. One is 180 while the other is 131. Both 180 and 131 make use of prompt procedures.
So you must follow the instructions to activate a one-time data purchase.
How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN Using 180 (USSD)
- Connect to ZIGI by dialing 180 using your MTN number.
- Press 1 to find out your auto-renewal status.
- Press 2 to cancel the auto-renewal
Once you go through the above steps, MTN will cancel the auto renewal option for you. Your subscription will now be on one-time purchase basis.
How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN Using *131# (USSD)
Here is a description of how to stop auto renewal on MTN using the *131# code. The images are there to facilitate easy understanding.
1. Dial *131# using your MTN line.
2. Choose Data Plans (i.e. option 1)
3. Choose Next to see more options on the next page (i.e. option 99)
4. Choose Manage Data (option 11)
5. Choose Cancel Auto Renewal (option 3)
6. Select Bundle to opt out of auto renewal
7. Now you are done!
The seven steps above are very seamless and stress-free. You don’t need to know the subscription code for the data bundle you are trying to stop auto renewal on. So you don’t have to send NO with endless wrong codes to MTN in a bid to stop auto renewal.
Let me also add this…
You can always activate a one-time purchase on MTN and avoid falling into the trap of auto renewal and going through the stress of stopping it.
How to Activate One-time Purchase on MTN Using 131 (USSD)
You can also activate one-time purchase on MTN using the *131# code when you are about to purchase a data plan. Using the *131# will require you to select either of one-time purchase or auto renewal.
Below are the required procedures:
- Dial *131# using your MTN phone number
- Then press 1 to select ‘Data Plans’
- Select from the list of available data plans according to your budget
- Press 2 to select ‘One-time Purchase’
Remember you can do this when attempting to purchase a data plan. If you follow the steps above, your data bundle will not renew automatically. To renew the data bundle after exhausting it or on its expiry date, you will have to go through the steps above.
Read Also: How to Link NIN to Airtel Number
How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN Using MyMTN App
MyMTN App is a mobile app from the stables of MTN. In MYMTN App, MTN offers a lot of services to their customers.
The app also offers customers the option to toggle off auto renewal if they need to. The following are the steps to follow to stop auto renewal on MTN using MyMTN app:
- Download MyMTN app on your phone and go through the installation process.
- When you are done, log in to the MyMTN app.
- Input your mobile phone number and scroll to ‘My Subscription’.
- Click on ‘Toggle off Auto-Renewal’.
- Then click on ‘Turn Off’.
Once you go through the above steps successfully, your data subscription will no longer be on auto renewal. More so, any other data subscription you do on the mobile app will not be on auto-renewal.
How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN Using MyMTN Web
MyMTN web is an online platform where MTN renders all manner of services to their customers. Customers can use the MYMTN web page to stop auto renewal of their data subscriptions. The process to achieve this is very simple as you can see in the steps below.
- Visit the MyMTN web platform or just click here for quick access
- Enter your username, password and phone number.
- MTN will send an OTP to you, just go ahead to input the OTP numbers.
- Scroll to my subscription, select data bundle and toggle off the auto-renewal button.
This process will automatically stop auto renewal on MTN and activate a one-off data purchase for you..
How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN Via SMS
The SMS method of stopping auto renewal on MTN is the fastest and easiest method especially if you know the subscription code for the data bundle.
So if you have mistakenly activated the auto renewal option for your data bundle, all you need is to remember the code for that particular data bundle package.
To stop auto renewal on MTN via SMS, simply send NoCODE to 131. For example, the code for 200MB for 2 days on MTN is 113. If you want to stop auto renewal of that bundle, simply send NO113 to 131.
As soon as you send that, MTN will opt you out of their auto renewal services.
List of MTN Data Plans and the Codes to Stop Auto Renewal Via SMS
If you must use the SMS method to stop auto renewal on MTN, you must know the code for the data plan in question. Otherwise, you will be texting wrong codes and receiving error messages as feedback while the auto renewal continues.
So I will outline some of the MTN data plans and the short codes to stop auto renewal through SMS.
To stop auto renewal on:
1. 25MB daily data plan, send NO114 to 131.
2. 75MB daily data plan, send NO114 to 131.
3. 1GB daily data plan, send NO155 to 131.
4. 200MB for 2 days data plan, send NO113 to 131.
5. 2GB for 2 days data plan, send NO154 to 131.
6. 350MB for 7 days data plan, send NO103 to 131.
7. 1.5GB for 30 days data plan, send NO106 to 131.
8. 2GB for 30 days data plan, send NO130 to 131.
9. 3GB for 30 days data plan, send NO109 to 131.
10. 3.5GB for 30 days data plan, send NO110 to 131.
11. 6.5GB for 30 days data plan, send NO107 to 131.
Read Also: MTN Foundation Scholarship for Undergraduate Students
How to Stop Auto Renewal on MTN Through Customer Service
The MTN customer service channels are also open for customers who wish to stop the auto-renewal of their data bundle.
However, when you gain access, the customer representative will demand a few personal details to confirm if you are the owner of the phone number. Once you provide satisfactory answers, the customer rep will grant your request.
Follow the steps below if you want to speak with an MTN customer representative:
- Dial 180 using your mobile phone, wait for about 3 seconds and press 2.
- Wait for another 3 seconds and press 9, then press 6.
- Then press 0 to transfer to a customer care agent online
When you gain access to an MTN customer care agent, you can place your request for data subscription auto-renewal cancellation.
How to Stop Auto-Renewal on MTN Social Bundle
MTN offers many social bundle packages for their customers. Sadly, many customers subscribing to social bundles experience the problem of unwanted auto-renewals.
In order to help you to solve this problem, I will outline some social media bundles and the codes you can use to stop auto-renewals.
To stop auto-renewal for:
- Facebook daily data plan, send STOPFBD to 131
- WhatsApp daily data plan, send STOPWAD to 131
- 2GB daily data plan, send STOP2GOD to 131
- Instagram daily data plan, send STOPINSD to 131
- Eskimi daily data plan, send STOPESKD to 131
- WeChat daily data plan, send STOPWCD to 131
- Facebook monthly data plan, send STOPFBM to 131
- WhatsApp monthly data plan, send STOPWAM to 131
- 2GB monthly data plan, send STOP2GOM to 131
- Instagram monthly data plan, send STOPINSM to 131
- Eskimi monthly data plan, send STOPESKM to 131
- WeChat monthly data plan, send STOPWCM to 131
So here’s where I end this very informative article. I trust that it is helpful to the point of solving the challenge that brought you to post.
You can can always use the comments section to ask questions in case there’s something you still don’t understand. You may also just share your thoughts with me if you got no questions..
Furthermore, kindly help us to reach others with this post by sharing with friends on Social Media. Just scroll down to see the Facebook and Twitter and WhatsApp buttons. Thank you so much!
Recommended for you:
1. How to Make Money Via WhatsApp Status
2. WhatsApp Millionaire Secrets
Still Got a Question? Drop Your Question Right HERE 👇👇 and click on Search. Get an Immediate Response...
Get in touch with us
Join our 2023 JAMB Tutorial Classes on WhatsApp or Telegram or Facebook
Like and Follow us on Facebook @SURE SUCCESS NG
Join our Aspirants Facebook Group @JAMB Tutorials & Updates
UNN Aspirants and Students, Join MY UNN DREAMS (MUD)
If this post was helpful to you, please help us to reach others by sharing with the buttons below!