The West African Secondary School Certificate Exam popularly known as G.C.E is an annual exam for students who are not in secondary school that want to rewrite or adults who want to further their studies. Nowadays, it is categorized into WAEC-GCE usually held in August and NECO-GCE held in October.
Based on the interests of the student, various subjects amounting to 8 or 9 courses will be registered before the exam commences. Here are some books you can read if you are writing this year.
- MATHEMATICS: Doubling the time used to study for math will be helpful if you are like me. Recommended texts include New General Mathematics for West Africa, New Concept Mathematics for senior secondary School 3, and Progressive Mathematics for SS 3.
- ENGLISH: English entails practicing just like math. Recommended texts include English Grammar & Lexis and Structure with a supplement on oral English for Secondary school and Colleges by J. A. Adekunle and Mastery English by M. O Odiaka.
- PHYSICS: Recommended text includes New School Physics for SSS by M. W. Anyakoha.
- CHEMISTRY: Recommended text includes New School Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools by O.Y. Ababio
- BIOLOGY: Recommended text includes Modern Biology by Ramlingam.
- GOVERNMENT: Recommended text includes Essential Government by C C. Dibie
- ECONOMICS: Recommended text includes Fundamentals of Economics by R.A.I. Anyanwuocha
- LIT-IN-ENGLISH- Recommended text is Exam Focus Lit-in-English by J OJ Nwachukwu-Agbada, Tunde Omobowale, Sunday Enessi Ododo and Kazeem Adebiyi. The book provides detailed analysis of plots, theme, style, characterization, major events and their significance. It also highlights the significance of each major character. The book exposes candidates to the skills required to tackle unseen drama, poetry and prose passages. It also provides authentic biographical information on each writer whose work is analyzed.
- AGRICULTURE: The recommended text is Comprehensive Certificate Agricultural Science for Senior Secondary Schools by L A Are, E M Igbokwe, C L A Asadu and G S Bawa. The book is organized to reflect basic concepts in agriculture: agriculture ecology, farm mechanization, crop production, animal production and agricultural economics and extension.
In Conclusion, don’t forget to get and study past questions on every subject you will be writing. They test your knowledge and prove how ready you are for G.C.E.
Credit: Regina Alabere (zodml.org)