This is for UTME Candidates looking for English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023. The Use of English paper is compulsory for all candidates regardless of their prospective course. So, here you will get genuine JAMB English questions and answers for 2023. Your duty now is to read through them as many times as possible and get ready to smash your English paper.
Table of Contents
What are English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023
English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 are the questions you should expect in your English paper in 2023 UTME, together with their answers.
It is very important that every candidate preparing to sit for English in the forthcoming 2023 JAMB examination should catch a glimpse of these questions.
In so doing, they will know what to expect in the JAMB CBT hall. Knowing exactly what to expect will boost their confidence and guarantee them a very high score.
English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 Revealed!
On this page, we shall reveal English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 for all candidates taking the English paper.
How lucky you are to stumble upon this important page!
The questions are genuine and the answers are accurate, and all are a product of our passion to see you excel in your JAMB and gain admission at last.
In the following sections, you will read the English questions you are to expect in your 2023 JAMB exam as well as their answers. You can use the comments section if you still need clarification over some of the questions. We will give you a more detailed explanation.
JAMB is a very serious examination. You will answer 60 questions in JAMB Use of English 2023 within 40 minutes. So it’s important that you pay attention to the information revealed on this page.
English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 [Numbers 1 – 10]
In each of questions 1-10, fill the gap with the most appropriate option from the list following the gap.
1. Some smugglers have created a road diversion in order to … the new import duty.
A. circumflex B. circumscribe
C. circumspect D. circumvent
2. It happened that our dog is male but … are all females.
A. their’s B. there’s
C. theirs’ D. theirs
3. We can use the telephone; the lines are all….
A. on B. off
C. up D. down
4. Ayayi cashed … our boy’s defensive error to score the equalizer.
A. on B. in with
C. in on D. in
5. I heard that Italy’s victory at the world cup ….…the radio.
A. in B. on
C. over D. from
6. He travels very often as if he does not know that a car runs … Petrol.
A. with B. by
C. on D. in
7. We were all delighted when the lady …… a bouncing baby boy.
A. delivered B. brought forth
C. gave birth to D. was delivered of
8. Although the problem was simple ……… students were able to solve it.
A. few B. a few
C. a lot of D. little
9. Some students … believed they can succeed in exams without working hard.
A. many a times B. many at time
C. many a time D. many at times
10. The defendant claimed that he had been … into making a statement.
A. coarced B. coaxed
C. coarsed D. coerced
Answers to English Question Number 1 – 10
1.D 2.D 3.A 4.C 5.B
6.C 7.D 8.A 9.C 10.D
English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 [Numbers 11 – 20]
In each of questions 11 – 13, choose the word(s) that best complete the meaning in the sentence
11. We watched the woman as she stood up and … herself more comfortably.
A. reseated C. reseat
B. resat D. resitted
12. The students……the principal’s appeal for calm and took to the streets.
A. deferred C. defied
B. differed D. defined
13. The noise from the record seller’s workshop …on my ears.
A. jeers B. jars
C. jams D. jabs
In question 14 – 16, choose the option opposite in meaning to the word(s) in italics
14. The Military Governor upheld the decision of his cabinet.
A. Held up B. Abolished
C. Reversed D. Maintained
15. Chidi is naturally taciturn.
A. Friendly D. Lively
B. Cheerful E. Reserved
16. James is a disco-addict. He takes his studies rather lightly.
A. Humorously D. Carefully
B. Gloomily E. Seriously
In questions 17 – 19 choose the words or phrases which best fill(s) the gap(s)
17. There’s …. ventilation in this room; that’s why you don’t breathe well.
A. few C. a few
B. little D. a little
18. Whenever he puts the light on, someone …. to disturb him.
A. came C. comes
B. has come D. would come
19. It … be taken for repair after all; it’s working again.
A. couldn’t C. mightn’t
B. shouldn’t D. needn’t
In question 15 choose the word that has the same consonant sound as the one represented by the letter(s) underlined.
A. Chip C. Sharp
B. Cheat D. Character
Answers to English Question Number 11 – 20
11.A 12.C 13.B 14.E 15.A
16.E 17.B 18.B 19.D 20.C
English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 [Numbers 21 – 30]
Choose the option that best conveys the meaning of the underlined portion in each of the following sentences.
21. In the match against the Rangers team, the Enyimba boys turned out to be the dark horse.
A. played most brilliantly
B. played below their form
C. won unexpectedly
D. lost as expected
22. He spoke with his heart in his mouth.
B. with such unusual cowardice
C. with a lot of confusion in his speech
D. with fright and agitation
23. The leader in today’s issue of Punch Newspaper focuses on inflation.
A. president B. headline
C. editorial D. columnist
24. All his plans fell through.
B. were accomplished
C. had to be reviewed
D. were rejected
25. He stared at her.
A. glanced B. peeped
C. looked D. gazed
26. As he was a gullible leader, his followers took advantage of him.
A. He was weak and unable to enforce his authority
B. He was partial and unfair in dispensing justice
C. He was simple minded to a fault
D. He was lacking in education and experience in every affairs
27. His summary of the lecture was brief and to the point.
A. careful B. precise
C. accurate D. exact
28. Do you have the same aversion as I do for home videos?
A. bitterness B. dislike
C. criticism D. indignation
29. I did not think she could be so easily taken in by his pretenses.
A. flattered B. deceived
C. pregnated D. overcome
30. The witness was guilty of swearing to a statement he knew to be false.
A. forgery B. perjury
C. libel D. slander
Answers to English Question Number 21 – 30
21.C 22.D 23.C 24.A 25.D
26.C 27.B 28.B 29.B 30.B
English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 [Numbers 31 – 40]
The following questions are based on the novel The Life Changer. Choose the correct answer from the list of options.
31. Who left the house immediately they won Money?
A. Dr. kabir B. Gumuzu
C. Natasha D. Hakimi
32. What did Lawal refer Salim’s online girlfriend as?
A. Gambler B. Indian princess
C. roger D. Labaran
33. Who was Tomiwa’s blind date?
A. Gumuzu B. Natasha
C. Omar D. Habib.
34. What did Omar score in JAMB?
A.240/100 B 25/300.
C. 230/400. D. 200/400
35. Which of the following crimes was Talle not guilty of?
A. Killing B. Kidnapping
C. Armed robbery D. Extortion.
36. How much did Dr. Kabir stake?
A. N200,000 B. N50, 000
C. 100,000 C. N300,000
37. What was Habib’s position in politics?
A. speaker of the house.
38. Which of the following is not Salma’s room mate?
A. Tomiwa B. Ngozi
C. Ada D. Natasha
39. Who sang “The Gambler”?
A. Kenny Rogers B. Gumuzu
C. Zaki D. Kartagi
40. What was the name of the thug sent after Kabir by Labaran?
A. Kartagi B. Gumuzu
C. Zaki D. Labaran
Answers to English Question Number 31 – 40
31.A 32.B 33. D 34.C 35.A
36.B 37.A 38.D 39.A 40.C
English JAMB Questions and Answers 2023 [Numbers 41 – 50]
Choose the word/expression which best completes each sentence.
41. The giant hydro-electric project is among the …. of colonial rule in Southern Africa.
A. inheritance B. remnants
C. legacies D. evidence
42. During the inaugural address, the president …. the activities of his government for the past eight years.
A. reiterated B. reviewed
C. restated D. recited
43. The World Bank team which visited the landlocked country …. a bleak economic future for it.
A. forecast B. discovered
C. thought of D. prophesied
44. We traveled all night and arrived …. the Lagos motor park at six o’clock in the morning.
A. by B. inside C. in D. at
45. We ought to stay away from this place …. the robbers come back.
A. provided B. should in case
C. in case D. since
46. The principal will be going away on …. In his absence, the vice principal will …. the school.
A. holidays/take over B. holiday/carry on
C. holidays/care for D. holiday/look after
47. The new leader has good intentions, but she is unable to ….
A. carry them with him B. carry them out
C. carry them on D. carry them well
48. Abuja is not far from here, it is only an ….
A. hour of driving B. hour’s drive
C. hour by driving D. hours drive
49. Do you know if the new lecturer …. yet?
A. is arrived B. will be arriving
C. has arrived D. had arrived
50. Had he known, he …. away.
A. will go
B. will be going
C. will have gone
D. would have gone
Answers to English Question Number 41 – 50
41.C 42.B 43.A 44.D 45.C
46.D 47.B 48.B 49.C 50.D
So here you have the 40 English Questions you can expect in your 2023 JAMB examination. Read them again and again. Ensure that you get very familiar with each of them such that you can readily recognize them any time.
Remember that you can ask for more detailed explanation to any of the above questions in case you don’t fully understand it. Don’t be shy, just scroll down and use the comments section. Drop your questions and expect comprehensive answers as soon as possible.
See you on the next article.
Still Got a Question? Drop Your Question Right HERE 👇👇 and click on Search. Get an Immediate Response...
Get in touch with us
Like and Follow us on Facebook @SURE SUCCESS NG
Join our Aspirants Facebook Group @JAMB Tutorials & Updates
UNN Aspirants and Students, Join MY UNN DREAMS (MUD)
If this post was helpful to you, please help us to reach others by sharing with the buttons below!