How to Write Letter of Undertaking for Student University Admission. Letter of undertaking in Nigeria and Letter of undertaking sample. You will learn how to write undertaking letter for various reasons.
Today, we are going to learn about Letter of Undertaking – what it is, the need for it, how to write it and who can write it.
Table of Contents
What is a Letter of Undertaking?
Generally speaking, a letter of undertaking (LOU) is a letter of assurance written by one party to another party to show an intention, a promise or a pledge to fulfill the obligation that had been previously agreed on.
So, letters of undertaking always have to do with prior or previous agreement and is normally employed in the day-to-day transactions between parties. Normally, one party does it to prevent incurring loss. A good example is a situation where some students destroy school properties in the course of a demonstration. The school management requires the students to write a letter of undertaking showing that they will not do such wrongful act again and also stating the alternative consequences in case of default.
Read Also: How to Write Letter of Attestation [See Samples]
In Nigeria, students who are newly admitted into universities, polytechnics, colleges of education and secondary schools are required to write a letter of undertaking and submit as part of the documents required for clearance.
Who can / should Write a Letter of Undertaking?
Letter of Undertaking for students admission can be written by:
- Your Parents.
- The Spiritual leader (Rev. Father or Pastor) of the one for whom the undertaking is written.
- Your Traditional ruler or leader.
- An Attorney.
Read Also: Course Codes, Outlines, Contents and Description for Newly Admitted Students (All Courses)
Reasons for Writing Letter of Undertaking
There are many reasons why you may need to write a letter of undertaking for someone. In the same way, there are several reasons why you may be required to obtain a letter of undertaking. The reasons include:
- Payment of debt
- Good conduct
- School fees
- Building permit
There are more reasons. But, let’s just move to the next section.
So, let’s go…
How to Write a Letter of Undertaking
Note the following, they will serve as a guide to the format of the letter.
- Letter of undertaking is a kind of formal letter. And like every other formal letter, it must therefore contain the date, your address and that of the institution (or organization), salutation and heading.
- The letter must also contain an introduction which should show clearly if the letter is written by a solicitor or by the person in need. State briefly the purpose of writing also. For example: I am Henry Divine, a newly or provisionally admitted student of Biochemistry, UNN. I write in respect of the above subject.
- You then proceed into the body of the letter. Here, you state your intentions in addition to any other necessary info.
- Add a complementary close; Yours faithfully and sign before you put your full names.
- Lastly, as you would do to any official document, cross-check to ensure that your letter aligns with your intentions.
- Before you submit, make photocopies and keep one or two for future use. Or convert your Letter of Undertaking to PDF format and save in your gmail (email) account.
Read also: 36 Useful Advice to the Newly Admitted Students on Campus
Below is an Undertaking Letter Sample
Once again, congratulation on your well-deserved admission.
Below are Formats of Undertaking Letter for Job.
Recommended: 3 Simple Steps to write an Essay on “Why I deserve a Scholarship”.
So we have come to the end of this article. Help us to reach others. Share this post using the social media share buttons below. In addition, you can comment any questions you may have.
Still Got a Question? Drop Your Question Right HERE 👇👇 and click on Search. Get an Immediate Response...
Get in touch with us
Join our 2023 JAMB Tutorial Classes on WhatsApp or Telegram or Facebook
Like and Follow us on Facebook @SURE SUCCESS NG
Join our Aspirants Facebook Group @JAMB Tutorials & Updates
UNN Aspirants and Students, Join MY UNN DREAMS (MUD)
If this post was helpful to you, please help us to reach others by sharing with the buttons below!
Please write a letter of undertaking for a student entering into ss1