There are basically two modes of admission into all NUC recognized universities in Nigeria. One is the UTME mode, the other is the DE mode.
The UTME mode involves university aspirants who are fresh secondary school leavers. Normally, the highest certificate held by these secondary school leaver is the Senior School Certificate obtained either from WAEC or NECO. With this certificate or statement of result, they apply for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination organized by JAMB.
Apart from fresh secondary school leavers, there are other university aspirants who have already acquired certificates higher then just SSCE. Some of the possible certificates include:
- National Diploma (ND).
- Higher National Diploma (HND).
- Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB)
- Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB)
- A’level GCE certificates
Good grades in the above-mentioned certificates qualify the holders for Direct Entry admission into 200 level. This implies that all the candidate needs to do is to obtain JAMB Direct Entry form and apply to the university of their choice.
In this article, we want to help candidates with lower credit grade in their National Diploma (ND) or Higher National Diploma (HND). Many of them are asking, “Is Lower credit a good result?” “How do I convert my HND to a degree?” “Which universities accept lower degree for Direct Entry Admission?”
Table of Contents
See: 2022 JAMB Direct Entry Registration: Instructions & Guidelines.
Lower credit grade in National Diploma (ND) is not a wonderful result. But now that you have it, it’s not the end of the world. The truth is that you may have obtained a lower credit because of circumstances that were beyond your control.
Yes, most universities prefer upper credit to lower credit for ND holders. They want to be sure you really have enough knowledge to start from 200 level. Be that as it may, there are few universities that still consider candidates with lower credit for Direct Entry. You can still approach any of them for admission.
Lower Credit in HND is not a problem as far as Direct Entry Admission is concerned. It is accepted by most universities that admit candidates through the Direct Entry mode.
Nigerian Universities that Accept Lower Credit in ND for Direct Entry Admission
We have compiled the list of universities that accept Lower Credit based on the admission requirements recorded in JAMB Brochure.
- All private universities – you may need upper credit for some courses.
- Ekiti State University (EKSU), Ado-Ekiti
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN)
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University formerly Anambra State University (ANSU)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Usman Dan Fodio University Sokoto (UDUSOK)
- Niger Delta University, NDU, Wilberforce
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, ESUT
- Nasarawa State University (NSUK), Keffi
- University of Jos, UNIJOS
- Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University, UMYU
- Federal University of Technology, Minna, FUTMINNA
- University of Ilorin, UNILORIN (accepts lower credit in history and performer art)
Make sure you check JAMB Brochure to confirm whether you can apply for a course with Lower credit in ND. Some other schools not listed here may allow that.
Note: It’s your responsibility to validate the genuineness of our listing from JAMB brochure.
See also: Official Up-to-date JAMB Brochure.
Still Got a Question? Drop Your Question Right HERE 👇👇 and click on Search. Get an Immediate Response...
Get in touch with us
Join our 2023 JAMB Tutorial Classes on WhatsApp or Telegram or Facebook
Like and Follow us on Facebook @SURE SUCCESS NG
Join our Aspirants Facebook Group @JAMB Tutorials & Updates
UNN Aspirants and Students, Join MY UNN DREAMS (MUD)
If this post was helpful to you, please help us to reach others by sharing with the buttons below!